Water vs . Fresh Water
How can you tell the difference between salt water
and fresh water? Try the experiment below and find out.
- A glass of water
- 12 tablespoons of salt
- Fill a glass with water until it is half full.
- Put the egg in the glass. What happens? Does it sink or float?
- Now add the salt, one tablespoon at a time. Watch what happens
to the egg.
egg sinks in fresh water. Why do you think this happens?
- As salt is added to the water, the egg starts to float to the
- The salt makes the water denser. The denser a liquid is, the
more likely it is that an object will float.